It’s our first summer holiday- time to break out the grills and picnic food! Here are a few tips to help your pets enjoy the holiday as well. Remember that some picnic food can be harmful or even toxic to our pets, so don’t share your food with them. Some foods can cause digestive problems like vomiting or diarrhea, especially if your pet eats something that is not part of its normal diet. And licking grease left over from a cook-out can not only cause digestive problems, but can also cause pancreatitis. Some foods can be toxic when eaten by your pet. These include grapes, raisins, onions, chocolate and some foods with artificial sweeteners like xylitol (which is found in gum, candies, drinks and some medications). So keep your pet out of your picnic basket!
When you are out celebrating, try to monitor your pet for signs of summertime hazards like heat stroke. Offer your pet plenty of clean, cool water and a well-shaded place to sit. If it is very hot or humid outside, leaving your pet at home with the AC or a fan may be the safer option.
Finally, make sure your pet’s microchip information and ID are up to date in case they get loose. And if your pet doesn’t already have one, a microchip is invaluable if your pet gets lost without his collar or tags.
Enjoy the weekend and stay safe! For more information on summertime hazards, check out our blog posts on our website, www.gmvh.com, under Latest News. If you do have an emergency, we are open regular Saturday hours, 8am-1pm, and we are closed on Monday (614-846-9644). Med vet (614-846-5800) and Ohio State University (614-292-3551) are open 24 hours, 7 days a week if you have an emergency while we are closed.