It's springtime! Are your flowers and plants safe for your pets?

posted: by: Alison Skala DVM Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

It's springtime! Are your flowers and plants safe for your pets?

There are multiple plants that we have blooming outside or in our houses this time of year that can be hazardous to our pets.  Spring bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths can be toxic if eaten.  Consumption of leaves and flowers may cause vomiting, but ingestion of the bulbs can cause severe hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (bloody vomiting and diarrhea), neurological symptoms and even death in some cases.

Another group of plants that we see this time of year are lilies.  Easter lilies, Day lilies, Tiger lilies and Asian lilies can be very poisonous to cats if eaten.  All parts of the plant are poisonous, including the pollen. Eating even a small amount can cause vomiting, kidney failure and death if not treated quickly. Kidney failure can happen within 24 to 72 hours of ingestion of the plant, and the prognosis is poor if not treated within 18 hours of exposure.

Keep your pets safe this spring by making sure these toxic plants are out of reach of curious pets.  See the ASPCA website,, for more information on toxins.  You can also download the poisonous plant "PET TOXINS" App from iTunes to help plan your garden, buy new houseplants or to check if the existing plants in your home or garden may be toxic.

Have a safe and happy spring!